Irene is a partner at Bytelex Advocates with specialist knowledge in providing legal advisory in the areas of Finance, Tax and Infrastructure. Irene approaches her tasks creatively, using her knowledge of the law to render advice suitable for proposed transactions and unique to particular client needs. She combines her knowledge and understanding of corporate finance, tax law and accounting to guide clients in structuring their business and investment vehicles. Irene is also passionate about rethinking legal structures and arrangements in a way that enables mobilization of local capital for the benefit of startups and small and medium enterprises.
Irene is an advocate of the High Court and all courts subordinate thereto. She holds a Bachelor of Laws degree from Makerere University, a postgraduate diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre (Kampala) and a Master of Science in Law and Accounting from the London School of Economics (LSE).
- Eyogyiire Irene (2012), Dissertation titled Governance Perspectives in the Regulation of the Power Subsector; A Critical Analysis of Energy Sector Legal and Policy Reform in Uganda.
- Makerere Law Journal (2016), Weaving through the Jurisprudence: Is my gratuity taxable? by Eyogyiire Irene
- Engaged in negotiation to resolve a shareholder dispute between the key shareholders of a local software company. The negotiation was successfully concluded with preparation and execution of a Shareholder Exit Agreement and creation of a spin-off entity to take over part of the objectives of the original company
- Advising Yellow Card Financial Limited on the application of the National Payment Systems Act and regulations to their maintenance of customer digital wallets to facilitate payment for virtual assets. The legal opinion provided guidance on what is categorised as a payment service under the Act and the regulatory requirements for obtainment of a licence
- Advising 141 Impact, a charitable organisation on the most appropriate structuring of their proposed operational entity for Uganda. During this engagement, we handled the incorporation of the local operational entity and we are currently following up the registration of the local company with the Non-Governmental Organisations Bureau
- Advising Sevi Innovation Limited, the operators of an online consumer credit platform on the implications of the National Payment Systems regulatory regime on their proposed business models.
- Advising BiD Network Foundation, a financial advisory firm involved in assisting entrepreneurs in sub-Saharan access capital, on its standard Service Provision Agreement
- Advising Bidhaa Sasa, a social enterprise operating in Kenya and Uganda in regard to the validity of its contractual arrangements for sale of solar loan products on credit and the legality of repossession of sold goods under the laws of Uganda
- Advising clinicPesa (U) Limited on the structuring of their Business to Business Loan and Saving Product through the clinicPesa mobile application, and preparation of the Loan Service Agreement in accordance with the proposed structure.
- Advise Zembo `Uganda (SMC) Limited, a manufacturer of electric motorcycles, on the most appropriate transaction structure, and drafting of the Hire Purchase Agreement for sale of the motorcycles in Uganda and Battery Hire Agreement.
- Advising on a joint venture/partnership arrangement between FUJI MISR Elevators and Escalators and EMETS (U) Limited for the supply and installation of elevators and escalators in the East African region including Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Southern Sudan.
- Advising an off-grid solar company on the terms of a cooperation agreement for a proposed Public Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement with the Kalangala District Local Government.
- Part of the advisory team for the design of a solar loan financing product under the World Bank funded Energy for Rural Transformation project, through Uganda Energy Credit Capitalisation Company as the implementing agency.
- Representing Confession and Possession (U) Limited in arbitration proceedings in respect of a claim for recovery of approximately Ug.Shs 150,000,000 arising from a breach of a contract for services by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).
- Advising Absolute Energy Africa Limited on a Sale and Leaseback arrangement in respect of a portion of a Solar PV generation plant. The Sale and Leaseback would enable the financing of the construction of the generation plant and ownership upon expiry of the lease period.
- Advising Absolute Energy Africa Limited in respect of preparation of an application for amendment of the Licence Exemption to vary the tariff methodology in accordance with the provisions of the Electricity Act and guidelines provided by the Electricity Regulatory Authority
- Advising an off-grid energy company on the terms of a cooperation agreement for a proposed Public Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement with the Kalangala District Local Government.
- Part of the Advisory team that conducted review of the Asset Financing documentation of a pan-African Bank including advisory on the validity and appropriateness of the documentation and designing templates for use by the Bank.
- Part of the Advisory team that conducted a security documentation audit on behalf of a Development Finance Institution and advised on remediation of lapses in security creation and perfection.
- Part of the advisory team of lawyers that conducted the credit and security documentation review for dfcu Bank Uganda Limited. Upon conclusion of the review, the team conducted trainings for the staff in the credit and legal departments of the Bank.
- Review and preparation of the standard invoice-financing documentation in respect reverse factoring and invoice discounting facilities for use by Financial Access Commerce and Trade Services (U) Limited in the Ugandan market.
- Drafting the Master Sale and Purchase Agreement for purchase of non-performing loan portfolios by the ARC for purposes of debt restructuring and/or recovery;
- Preparation of legal due diligence checklist for assessment of non-performing loan portfolios prior to purchase by the ARC; and
- Preparation of the draft guidelines for establishment and regulation of the business of asset reconstruction and restructuring in Uganda.